Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Jesus Comic Book

Most of the Japanese students are very eager to help me learn Japanese which has been cool. Yesterday for example I sitting in a coffee shop and two girls a couple of tables away started to help me with my Hiragana, which is one of the writing forms of Japanese. I had made some flash cards to help me remember the sounds made by the symbols. There are forty-six in Hiragana alone. Tomorrow I start learning the next form, Katakana. ....and then the Kanji, which are the thousands and thousands of Chinese characters that the Japanese have made their own.
IN ANY CASE- back to my story. So these two young ladies, whom I will call Sally and Cindy, started helping me with my flash cards. That led to questions of why I was in the country. Since I am over here on a "Religious Activities" visa there is no point in my hiding what I am mainly doing. I told them I was there for gospel spreading, which, of course, they didn't really understand at first. But once I gave them Jesus' name in Japanese something clicked and they understood. After we talked for a bit longer in both broken English (and even broken Japanese in my case, which was cool) I found out that Sally and Cindy were both students in one of the many local Universities. I gave them my name and told them they could contact me through Facebook, which many Japanese university students also use. Then I pulled out a Japanese comic book about the life of Jesus.
Now I have found that Japanese people of all ages love comic books. There are many stores around here that are totally devoted to them. They call them "manga". Most of them are pretty trashy and pretty violent, but there are some that aren't so bad too. When I pulled out the story of Jesus manga Sally and Cindy became interested. The comic book is a form that many people in Japan would probably actually look at and be interested as opposed to tracts, which may seem too preachy or wordy. (Not that those aren't good witnessing tools either.) Almost every time I am on a train or bus here I see teenagers, university students, some women, and mostly grown men reading comic books.
I gave the book to Sally to look at because I only had one copy, but I am praying that she reads it and then passes it on to Cindy.

I know that I may never see these girls again, but it was encouraging to talk to them. So say a prayer for these girls. It's not impossible for you to intercede even on the other side of the world or wherever you are. Pray that by reading this seemingly simple manga that they learn more about Jesus and that if they do have questions they will seriosuly seek answers in the right places.

7 comments:

  1. Thats really cool!!! God can reach people even though language barriers!! I'm praying for them and you!!

    Now I want to go find a Jesus Comic book to see what it looks like!! :-D

    Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, sharing the Gospel through comic books! Praying for you, and now "Sally" and "Cindy". You need to get the IMB to get you a stack of these comic books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so excited for you - this is awesome!!! i cant wait to hear more stories like this, because i know they'll keep coming eventually. praying for you all, and the other hearts you'll reach.
    Miller

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gospel manga could be the coolest juxtaposition of words I've ever heard :). Lifting you up man!

    -Ben

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's exciting, Daniel! I'm praying you have more opportunities like that to talk about the Lord. I'm sure learning the language will give you some great conversation starters. Goodness, that language sounds really hard. I'll be sure to mention it to my people here to cheer them up about the Anufo language they're learning....

    -Anna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Dan have you seen the bible in manga, I don't know if that's what you had that you gave to them, but it's supposed to be pretty cool. Just go to amazon.com and type in "manga bible", it looks like Tyndale House Publishing might have all sorts of cool resources.

    ReplyDelete